Monday, September 04, 2006

On the road again...

Hello again

As many of you may know from following this blog, on 31 August I was meant to have left my home to start the Camino de Santiago.
After a slight setback, the journey has begun...

I commence walking tomorrow and along the way I hope to post a series of "Postcards", reflections and photos from the road. Expect a more colourful blog over the next few weeks.

To those of you who have been reading and posting comments, thank you so much! To the newbies, welcome aboard!

I want to thank a few people for their invaluable moral support over these last few days.

To Carlo, who moved to my house and postponed his own commitments to help me recuperate quickly, thank you so much. I couldn't have made it through without your kind selfless assistance.

To Francesco, thanks for the long-distance support calls from Australia. They made a huge difference.

And last but not least, grazie mille to Dr Camertoni, who visited me at home when my own doctor wouldn't. Having been to Santiago himself once, immediately understood how important the Camino was to me and reassured me I would still be able to make it.

Each of you has reminded me that despite the troubled world we live in, acts of human kindness still abound.

I dedicate this walk to the hope that our world might find some peace soon through similar acts of humanity and understanding.

¡Buen camino!
John


What are your thoughts? Share your views & experiences below.

9 comments:

Lillian said...

Ihave enjoyed reading every one of your stories from your previous experience. You write with your heart and soul, which makes your tales so rewarding for me to read. It makes me wish I could jump forward to June 2007 when I will be doing the trail.
Have fun on this one. I cannot wait to read more.
Love & Peace
Lillian

John said...

Hi Lillian, it gives me great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed these stories. If I write with my heart and soul on the Camino, it is a measure of how profoundly this experience has touched me. May it be the same for you too in 2007. buen camino :-)
John

Anonymous said...

Buen Camino dear pilgrim


“When you walk across the fields with your mind pure, then from all the stones and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of their soul come out and cling to you and become a holy fire in you”.

Ancient Hasidic Saying:

Frapic said...

Good luck on your trip from Montréal - Canada =)

John said...

Thanks Frapic

Much appreciated.
John

Anonymous said...

Hello John
non vedo l'ora di leggere le tue news e di sapere che sei "gagliardo" per il Cammino.
A presto. Carlo

Luis said...

Juanito,

Thank you so much for the birthday note you sent me! And you see, your journey started on the same day my journey into the 40s begun.

As I was reading your latest updates in the blog the 'new' version of that song by Warda (Harramt Ahebbak) we downloaded last time you were here came up in my iTunes... Great one!

As you walk along the mountains towards Santiago I think 'what a beautiful landscape you must have in front of you' and can almost feel the vibrant energy of the path... Wish you BUEN CAMINO!

Luis x

John said...

Grazie Carlo del tuo commento. Sto bene. Sto gia al paese di Zubiri. Ho gia caminato verso 50 km senza problemi.

Grazie dal cuore per il tuo aiuto. Mi hai permesso di realizzare un sogno - non e un regalo da poco.
Un abbraccio
John

John said...

Thanks for your well wishes Luis and I hope you had a lovely birthday. I'm now in the town of Zubiri. I've walked about 50 km and my back is fine. I will be updating the blog with some material very shortly
Besos
John